Over 1500 men and women have given of their time and skills to the citizens and visitors of DeBary, since the group was formed.
In October of 1952, a group of residents got together to discuss the lack of fire protection in a small but bustling unincorporated area surrounding Benson Junction. Two weeks later, they again met and decided to start a volunteer fire company. After many more meetings, and much work, on June 23, 1953 the legal papers were received back, and the DeBary Volunteer Firemen’s Association was born. Ed Healy was named the first Fire Chief. The first call did not come in until October; the volunteers responded to a brush fire.
The department obtained its first fire engine in May of 1954; a 1943 Chevrolet combination pumper tanker from the city of Leesburg (shown below). The engine may have been an Army Air Force surplus truck, since Leesburg was an Army Air Force Base during the war.
The first fire house came about after a lot was purchased; and the firehouse (below) was finished and dedicated on February 13, 1955. This building still stands, and now serves as our Association Hall.
March, 1962: The Firemen’s Recreation Hall was dedicated. It was right next door to the original station, and was designed to become the next, bigger firehouse, but that didn't happen. It is now known as Florence K Little Hall.
In 1974, a new metallic fire house was built on the corner of 17/92 and Columba, beside the original fire house, and big enough to house multiple vehicles as well as offices and crew quarters.
In October, 1981, we had our first paid firefighters.
In December, 1983, DeBary gets 911 service.
In 1984, the department comes under county control, and DeBary is protected by Volusia County Fire Services and the fire house is redesignated as Station 33.
Then, in 2009, the city contracted fire/rescue services to the Orange City Fire Department who now staffs our station and responds to all calls for assistance.
In 2015, the city bought our newest “Engine 33” from Pierce Mfg. It has a 1250 GPM pump and carries 750 gallons of water, and a wide range of fire and rescue tools, including "the jaws".
In 2016, the city decided it was time for a new firehouse, shown at the top of these pages, and in July-2017, our newest fire house was completed and occupied.
Please click HERE for more historical pictures